Thursday, November 8, 2007

Can You Shred on a Plastic Guitar and Still Remain Sane?

I have a problem. I can’t stop thinking about it. And the obsession is starting to take over my life. I recently got a taste of Guitar Hero. And I want more!!!

It started out innocently enough. There was a PS2 plugged into the massive TV on one of the floors in my building. A group was huddled around the screen and they asked if I wanted to play. “Sure,” I said out loud and than quietly to myself I added, “What’s the harm?”

Once we figured out the left handed configuration of the guitar, I was off an running, hitting power cords to “Heat of the Moment” (You know how I know you’re gay…?).

Dude.

This game freaking rules. It took about six seconds before I was hooked.

The problem was pretty much contained until last week during a fateful trip to Costco. Because in that big warehouse, nestled amongst the free sausage samples and industrial sized peanut butter was the newly released Guitar Hero III…for the Wii! Jules saw what was capturing my gaze and quickly ushered me out of the aisle. But it was too late. It had burned into my brain.

Now I have a problem.

I have an addictive personality, which is why I don’t currently have a video game system in my home. Video games and I were all well and good for a while, but since the last generation of game systems came out, the average play time of a game is between 15-20 hours. I don’t have even close to that kind of time. But I do have addictive tendencies. So it’s better for me not to have video games at my disposal.

Then they came out with the Wii, which I played for the first time earlier this summer. It’s pretty cool. And of course, I want one. But I have been able to stay strong and resist the urge to get one. That is until last week, when the one-two punch of a Wii and Guitar Hero for the Wii has weakened my resolve. (Let’s not forget the new Simpsons game too!)

Jules loves to remind me that this current obsession is just like the one I had with PSP, which after a solid month or two of playing sat dormant in my drawer collecting cobwebs.

“But this time will be different,” I tell her.

She gives me the same look that my parents gave my sister when she asked them for a dog.

The holiday season is here, so Wiis are hard to come by. That hasn’t stopped me from browsing on Ebay, thoughts of me shredding on GH running rampant in my head.

2 comments:

Elliot Cowan said...

Guitar Hero is a slice of fried gold...

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.