Thursday, January 10, 2008

Look What I Found

My love of new products began when I was a kid. I always looked forward to visits from my Aunt Barbara. Aunt Barb lived in the heart of DC and even though the city was a mere half-hour drive away, it felt like some distant exotic world. Before each visit, Aunt Barbara would make a stop at a bodega across the street from her apartment and load up. She would come through the door with a big paper bag filled with candy. Aunt Barbara would go out of her way to find new things that my sister and I had not tried. Her specialty was Willy Wonka candy. She bought us Nerds months before anyone else had heard of them. That childlike excitement for new things has not gone away as I’ve grown up. Which is why I can’t resist a new candy product.

Hershey just came out with Reese’s Whipps. Whipps are a lame attempt to fool us into thinking of candy as diet food. The bar has a consistency of a stale 3 Musketeers and despite the Reese’s name, barely tastes like peanut butter. This is possibly one of the worst new products I’ve ever had.



Moving on…

I recently stumbled across Twix Java. Yum. The coffee infused caramel isn’t overpowering and works really well with the chocolate cookie and coating. I think we’re going to be seeing a lot more coffee flavored candy coming soon. Just beware if you’re sensitive to caffeine. The ingredients list “ground espresso beans” as an ingredient.



Finally, thanks to the fantastic game spotting of my beloved bride, Kit Kat Dark. The illusive and mythic Kit Kat Dark was found in a variety bag along with regular and Kit Kat White. Kit Kat Dark didn’t quite live up to the hype I had read about it, but the dark chocolate makes for a bar that’s not as sweet, but every bit as crunchy as a regular Kit Kat. Really tasty.



So if you see me wandering, seemingly aimless, through the aisles of a store, know that I’m on a new candy hunt. You never know when a “new” or a “limited edition” is going to spring up. And of course, I’ll let you know all about it here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kit Kat Dark is the love, babe.