Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Favorite Movie Characters

Super Mega Dad tagged me in his most recent post, asking me to list my top 10 favorite movie characters. This is kind of like asking me to choose a favorite out of peanut butter, steak or bacon. A lot of really strong choices have been included in some of the other blogger's lists, so rather than repeat, I'll give you some fresh choices.


Han Solo - Star Wars Trilogy

Growing up it was all about Luke Skywalker, until we got older and realized that Han Solo was bad-ass. He flew the Millenium Falcon, he had a totally sweet blaster and he definitely shot first.




Lloyd Dobbler - Say Anything

One of the ultimate cinematic geeks in one of the greatest teen flicks of the 80s.




Ash - Evil Dead Trilogy

Bruce Campbell didn't invent cool, but he totally defines it.



Beetlejuice – Beetlejuice

I've seen this movie about 167 times, and it keeps getting funnier every single time I see it. Beetlejuice is one of the strangest, most inventive movies ever. How can you go wrong with a thin, hunky Alec Baldwin, Geena Davis, a 17 year old Winona Ryder, Batman, Mr. Rooney, Harry Belafonte and stop motion animation?




General Zod – Superman II

I don't think I need to justify this pick to anyone. Kneel before him.




John McClane – Die Hard

In the summer of '88, Die Hard blew me out of the back of the theater. Over two decades and four movies later, John McClane is still one of the best action heroes out there.



Napoleon Dynamite - Napoleon Dynamite

He's weird. He's a horrible dresser. He's mean. He's ugly. You shouldn't root for him, yet you totally do.



Martin Riggs - Lethal Weapon / Lethal Weapon 2

Bat shit crazy. But totally freakin' cool. Martin Riggs is one of the most complex action heroes in the movies. That is until the crappy second and third sequels that took away his suicidal tendencies, gave him a steady girlfriend and neutered everything that was cool about him. Let's try to forget that Lethal Weapons 3 & 4 ever existed and bask in the glow of Martin Riggs when he was at his psychotic best, shall we?



Brick Tamland - Anchorman

I love lamp.



Marty McFly – Back to the Future Trilogy


He invented rock and roll. He rode a hover board. He made wearing a vest cool. Without a doubt, Marty McFly is the ultimate movie nerd. The original Back to the Future is a perfect movie and one of my all time favorites.




So...what do you think? Agree? Disagree? Who did I leave off? Let's talk movies.

Thanks to Super Mega Dad for including me in this. Be sure to check out his blog. Now it's up to me to tag a few others so here goes:

Your Escalator Operator @ Sorry for the Convenience
Tent Camper @ I Pee in the Wind
Cameron @ Get the Stink Off
Vancetastic @ The Audient

You're up fellas. See you at the movies.

15 comments:

SciFi Dad said...

Again, no Boba Fett?!?

Also, for a geek, there is a distinct lack of superhero movies there.

Steph... said...

Love McFly!! One of the great classics....

minmate said...

Just what I've come to expect from you... an insightful, eclectic, slightly surprising but mucho entertaining list.
My response:
Say Anything? Aww... you have a sensitive, romantic side. Nice! On the other hand, I have always failed to "get" the Napoleon Dynamite craze. The best I can do is feel vaguely sorry that I am missing the inside joke, but most of the time... meh. (sorry!)

Your escalator operator said...

Suh-weet! I feel like I've been tagged in for a dance-off. Or something. I have my work cut out for me - your list is strong (and well-presented)!

Super Mega Dad said...

Han Solo! Awesome pick! I'm jealous of some of your picks.

I think we should have picked SciFi Dad for this as well. I'm very curious what his choices would be.

OneZenMom said...

You had me at Han Solo ... and Ash ... and Beetlejuice ... and Zod ... okay, I love the whole list.

Except, I might be the only GenXer on this big blue marble who hasn't seen Napolean Dynomite or Anchorman. And I think I might have added Martin Brody from Jaws.

Other than that: Perfect. :)

SFD: Please don't throw any plush Star Wars toys at me, but ... Boba Fett is no where NEAR as cool as Han Solo. But, I'd still love to see a list like this from you, too. :)

Thanks for the trip. That was fun. :)

DGB said...

Thanks Zen Mom...If you like absurdest humor, you really really must check out Anchorman.

cIII said...

Bill Dee Williams also flew the Falcon. (I know, I know...only 'cause 'ol Han was all froze up in Carbonite....but still.)

He never shot First though.

You know who was a serious bad ass?

Al Pacino in Carlito's Way.

"Here comes the Pain..."

DGB said...

Oh, good call on Carlito!

OneZenMom said...

Oh, BTW - I like your new banner. :D

... said...

Optimus Prime in the original animated Transformers movie. I cried.

your escalator operator said...

Help! How do you get videos from YouTube to embed on Blogger!?!?

DGB said...

On the right hand of the You Tube screen, underneath the description of the clip, there is a code labeled "embed". Cut and paste that in your Blogger post.

Your escalator operator said...

Thank you for helping out your less-than-tech-savvy fellow blogger.

List is done... now about this embedding stuff...

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Okay...General Zod, Napolean, and McFly are my favorites of your list.

I LOVEd that superman...LOVED it.

:)

Okay I'm done now! lol!