Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Obligatory Summer Movie List

As a kid, summer used to mean everything. No school. Long days. Camp. Now that I’m a workin’ man, the only thing that summer means is that it’s hotter outside when I trudge back and forth to the office. Well, that and movies.

As we rapidly approach the start of the summer movie season, which seems to start a little bit earlier every year, here are the things that are attracting my attention.*


*There are dozens of other movies coming out, some of which may be good, but this list is already long enough.



I THINK (HOPE) THEY WILL BE GOOD

STAR TREK
I’m not a Trekker, but I’m a nerd. This movie looks awesome.

UP
It’s Pixar. Nothing more needs to be said.

(500) DAYS OF SUMMER
A new approach to boy meets girl. I read this script a few years ago. It was charming. It was heartbreaking. It was the thinking person’s romantic comedy. I hear the movie has done the script justice.

THE HANGOVER
Three guys attempt to find their friend who went missing the night before during their Vegas bachelor party. It’s got all the ingredients for a great comedy. It’s from the director of Old School and Road Trip and it’s got Zach Galifianakis and Ed Helms.

PUBLIC ENEMIES
Johnny Depp as Dillinger. Though the trailer gives away way too much, I think this one’s going to have style to spare.

TERMINATOR: SALVATION
I’m cautiously optimistic for this one. I just hope it’s not brainless.

BRUNO
If you loved Borat… It’s going to be very funny only if all of the jokes haven’t been spoiled before you see the movie. It already has a lot to live up to. I’m currently on media lockdown on this one.

INGLORIOUS BASTERDS
Similar to Star Trek, I’m not usually a fan of WWII movies…unless they’re directed by Quentin Tarantino

EXTRACT
It’s Mike Judge (Office Space). Nothing more needs to be said.

CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS – See the trailer? I think this looks great.


JUST NOT SURE ABOUT THESE

WOLVERINE
It’s going to be big and bloated and not nearly as good as X-Men 1 and 2. However, I’m sure it will be better than X-Men 3.

FUNNY PEOPLE

My man crush on Seth Rogen not withstanding, Judd Apatow looks like he’s channeling James L. Brooks. I want to believe that this is going to be great, but I just don’t know.

LAND OF THE LOST
Will Ferrell has tried big budget blockbusters before (remember Bewtiched?). I hope that this time he gets it right.

TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE
I am madly in love with the book. But there is no way that the movie is going to do it justice.


RUN FAR AWAY


GHOSTS OF GIRLFRIENDS PAST
How many times can Matthew McConaughey play the same role? According to WonderWife™, as many times as he wants. That doesn’t mean I need to be there.

TRANSFORMERS 2 - It’s Michael Bay. Nothing more needs to be said.

YEAR ONE
I hate to hate on this one with Judd Apatow producing, Harold Ramis (“Groundhog Day”) directing and Jack Black and Michael Cera starring, but I think it’s gonna be a stinker.

GI JOE
Stephen Sommers looks like he’s channeling Michael Bay.

ICE AGE 3
It’s got Scrat and dinosaurs, so there’s a 100% chance I’m going to be seeing this with the Bean. But that doesn’t mean it’s gonna be good.

DANCE FLICK
It looks way better than EPIC MOVIE or MEET THE SPARTANS, but that’s not saying very much. But why make a parody when the main movie you are spoofing (in this case “Save the Last Dance”) is over 8 years old?

ANGELS AND DEMONS
Tom Hanks pisses off Catholicism once again. As a child of the 80s, it’s sad that I don’t care about Tom Hanks anymore. It’s not that I think this will be a bad movie, but it’s one that I’m wholeheartedly not interested in seeing.


(click to read)

22 comments:

Emily said...

I'm also not a fan of Star Trek movies, but this one does look legitimately awesome.

Not that that means I'll be heading to the opening day midnight showing with my geeky boyfriend and his even geekier best friend.

SciFi Dad said...

I never got into the original series, but I did watch TNG, Voyager and Enterprise, plus I'm a huge Lost fan, so I'm pretty stoked about Star Trek.

I must be one of the few who liked the Transformers movie... I didn't expect it to be incredible though, so maybe that's part of it. Nonetheless, it's on my list.

Being a Wolverine fan and having enjoyed the first three, I'm looking forward to the prequel.

Other "must sees": Inglourious Basterds, Land of the Lost

I'm surprised the Harry Potter one didn't make your list.

DGB said...

Emily...As long as you understand your geeky boyfriend and his geek friend's need to see it opening night at midnight, it's okay if you don't.

SciFi...It may surprise you that I am not (yet) into Harry Potter. I've read the first few books, and seen the first movie, but when the books grew to over 1000 pages each, I just didn't have the time to dive in. And I want to read the books before seeing the movies. So at some point, when my life calms down, or my kids want to read Harry Potter, I will immerse myself in that world.

Unknown said...

Hmm, UP looks good, I'm a Pixar girl. (kids are watching Cars at the moment actually)
The Hangover could be funny.
Time Travelers Wife - I tried the book but didn't get into it. Maybe the movie will inspire me to read the book, the books are usually better anyway.
I was interested in Angels and Demons. Haven't peeked at the trailer yet though.

One was left off your list (you'll think I'm a dork but you are self proclaimed geek, so that's fair)
Harry Potter 6 Half Blood Prince. It's the only movie I ever get to see in theaters since my dh hates going to the movies. It's my bday/mothers day/christmas gift (depending when the movies come out). Yes, I am an HP fan and not ashamed to admit it.

Sadie said...

I LOVE Zooey Deschanel with a capital heart! I can't wait to see 500 Days of Summer, just for her.

I'm really excited to be just about done with kid flicks (yay me) but I'm sure we'll still get sucked in to UP, sad Sadie about this - sorry but after years of preschoolers and endless watching and rewatching of child movies, I'm so over them I could cry.

Ro will also force me to see Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. He recently read me that book and he loved it! It is pretty cute, I will suffer through for the greasy theater popcorn.

TentCamper said...

Shit....last movie I saw in the theater was ....Bourne Ultimatum...like 2 years ago.

I'd make a list but it would just make me depressed. Good luck with getting to all of those!!

Derek Armstrong said...

One of these days I hope to be the first person to comment on one of your posts. But you always have six other comments. I've officially got reader envy.

Expect a much longer Matthew McConaughey post from me in the next few days on my blog. You stole my basic premise, you jerk.

Your escalator operator said...

I'm especially looking forward to seeing the 3-D version of UP. Also looking forward to The Brothers Bloom (www.imdb.com/title/tt0844286/) - can't always trust trailers, but looks pretty entertaining.

Where's the Michael Bay/Jesus letter from?

DGB said...

Andrea...Pixar movies are just sublime. Caught "Ratatouille" again the other night. Ah, bliss.

See my above comment for the HP update. Yes, I know it's a strike against my geek cred. But it's really a matter of time and not lack of desire.

Sadie...Pixar movies aren't just kid movies. They are movie movies that happen to be enjoyed by kids also.

TentCamper...Two things make it possible: The Arclight theater (I wrote an open letter to them in a previous post) and a very understanding wife who is not a movie geek.

Vance...Great minds, man.

Escalator...I'm curious about Brothers Bloom, but unsure about it. The director is interesting. And I have no idea where I found that letter to Michael Bay. I'm like a squirrel in that regard, I find stuff and I save it.

Lucasb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lucasb said...

SciFi Dad, I liked Transformers as well, and am looking forward to seeing the sequel.

DGB, have you seen the trailer for Paper Heart, with Michael Cera? I think it looks like it could be good as well.

I had high hopes for Year One, but it looks awful. I think Funny People looks like it could be really good though.

Unknown said...

Good list. Definitely looking forward to Star Trek and I'll have no option whether or not I see UP. I liked the first Transformers, but I just can't see to get my hopes up about ANY sequel anymore. I will see Wolverine because I love x-men but I'm avoiding media and reviews of it until then.

And you need to see the Harry Potter movies first, then read the books. As with everything the books are better and you don't want the memory of a great book to be dulled by a "not up to scratch" movie. Kind of like Sphere or Outbreak.

OneZenMom said...

Star Trek and Up are totally squee-worthy and will probably be the only ones I'll get to see in the theater.

I'd not heard of 500 Days of Summer. Looks interesting. It's going on my netflix queue. :)

I'm holding out hope for Wolverine. I think Land of the Lost is going to suck. And I'm all fan-girl about Transformers 2 and G.I. Joe. SFD is right: The trick is not have high expectations. Just go for the ride and a side dish of nostalgia. ;)

Oh, and in case you haven't heard it enough: Harry Potter ROCKS. The books are made of win and the movies aren't bad either. That's another one for which I will beg-borrow-steal child care for a night at the movies.

DGB said...

Lucasb...I am very interested in Paper Heart. Charlene Yi is a fascinating performer.

Leanne and Zen...I know I will love the Harry Potter series. Both the books and the movies are miraculous in their own ways (I know a lot about them). I promise that I will get to them. At some point.

And for those of you who like TRANSFORMERS. I'm not going to begrudge you your opinions...but you're wrong!! It breaks my little fanboy heart that it's a terrible movie, cause I so wanted it to be good. It so COULD HAVE been good.

Go back and read my open letter to Michael Bay (tagged in this post). I've said everything I need to say.

Vance back me up on this...oh yeah, you kind of liked it too. Well, what do I know? I made a kabillion dollars and the sequel will do the same.

Multi-tasking Mommy said...

SciFi Dad just asked me tonight what movie we were going to go to this summer, as we don't get out the two of us that much right now.

DGB said...

So...MTM, which one's it gonna be?

Super Mega Dad said...

I'm with SciFi Dad and Transformers as well, but I'm pretty easily entertained. As long as it's bright and shiny, it probably has my attention.

Star Trek, I'm right there with ya. Will probably have to go to this one by myself, however. To grown up for the kids, WAY too nerdy for the wife. Ditto Terminator movie.

Up looks pretty cool as well.

RHW said...

Star Trek is great. If you haven't seen the older movies, the best way to pick is to remember that the even numbered ones are best. Of all, non-trekkies seem to like 4 best. (The term Trekker IMNSHO is a bit snobby).

Yes, big time Trekkie here. I would so go to a midnight showing if I could (though you wouldn't catch me dead in one of those old school mini skirts).

Oh and...
Harry Potter!
Harry Potter!
Harry Potter!

:p

DGB said...

RHW...Oh the big "Trekkie/Trekker" debate. You're the first person that's said to me that "Trekkie" is the preferred moniker

Derek Armstrong said...

I think that is what makes RHW not an actual [fill in the blank] ... actual [fill in the blanks] only accept Trekker. By their definition, if you call yourself a Trekkie, it means you're not, if that makes sense. People who like Star Trek call themselves Trekkies. People who eat, sleep, drink, dream and shit Star Trek call themselves Trekkers.

Keely said...

If it follows the Trek movie pattern (every second one is good), it should be awesome. I really, really am not a fan of stupid humor so Bruno & Hangover don't even make my list.

Other than that I pretty much agree with every single assessment. But, y'know, geek girl over here. No big surprise.

It's just too bad I NEVER GET TO GO TO MOVIES ANYMORE. EVER.
*sob*

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Okay... I can't wait to see that Star Trek... and I'm not a treky in the least.

but come on

Transformers 2 is your bottom??? I don't know if we can be friends any longer! :)