Tuesday, May 12, 2009

When You Can Say the Word "Poopy"

The past 24 hours have been madness I tell you, madness. I have a plate and it's full, but there's more stuff piling on top of it. Work has been, and will be, frenetic for the foreseeable future. I'm woefully behind editing my home videos (thus incurring the wrath and scorn of both sides of my family). I have a half dozen things that I've written, but can't seem to carve out the time (and truthfully the energy) to finish them. What I really need is about three Red Bulls and half a day with no responsibilities--work, parenting or otherwise--to get caught up.

WonderWife™ is currently out a girls' night--an event only slightly more rare than a sighting of Halley's Comet. While the house is quiet, and the kids are asleep, I'm taking the opportunity to get some of this stuff done. But it would be wrong of me to ignore you guys whilst I cross things off of my to do list, so I present you this exchange between the Bean and me:

WonderWife™: The Bean only gets one story tonight.

DGB: Oh yeah? (turning to the kid) So what did you do?

The Bean: I did something naughty.

DGB: Like what?

The Bean: I said...um...I said (trails off incoherently).

DGB: You said what?

The Bean: (hesitating) Poo...

DGB: You said "poopy"?*

The Bean: (relief) Yes! I said (pause) "poopy".

DGB: You know, when you're telling me the bad word you said, it's okay to say it.


*I know that on the scale of bad words, "poopy" ranks near the bottom next to "drat" and "shoot". But you gotta draw the line somewhere. "Poopy", when used properly, is like a gateway curse.

14 comments:

SciFi Dad said...

That reminds me of the time my cousin was sent home from school for saying the word Fuck. When she got home, her mother asked her if she said that word a lot. She replied, "No. Usually I just say 'shit' or 'damnit', like when I stub my toe."

She was six.

Danielle said...

My husband (as I am assuming all men) think farting is freaking hilarious, so now my 2 year old daughter runs around telling everyone "I fawted heee hee" IT"S NOT THAT FUNNY!!!
Danielle

Unknown said...

Ah the old Poopy word. It could be worse.

Good luck trying to get caught up. I've been trying for, oh, let's see, three years??

Melinda said...

You're right 'poopy' is just the precursor to other bad words, you gotta nip it in the bud early on! haha (Oh, good luck getting caught up, I don't know if its possible but here's hoping for all of us!)

blissfully caffeinated said...

"Poopy"? That's the bad word he said? What happens to him when he says "Fuck"? Because believe me, it will happen. And probably in a public place.

DGB said...

SciFi...That's awesome.

Danielle...Farting is funny. So is burping. I don't understand why you women can't get this.

Andrea...Three years? Crap.

Melinda...Thank you.

BC...When it happens, I will admonish him appropriately and go home to chuckle about it with WonderWife™.

OneZenMom said...

Cute. :)

My 4-year-old's been pretty good about not yet letting fly with a curse word ... I figure he's waiting for a very public venue for maximum mom-embarrassment potential.

But the other day he cracked me up when he found out his favorite show wasn't on and turned to me and snapped his fingers and said "Dagnabit" ... which is the word I use when I'm trying not to say "damn" in front of the kids.

They are always listening. :)

Cameron said...

Seems to be a lot of people writing about poop today. Odd ;)

DGB said...

Cameron...we're parents. It's always about poop.

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

what kind of INFLUENCE is in your HOUSE... POOPY *shudder* so horrible! :) lol!

I feel ya with the EVERYTHING is left behind kinda thing and NOTHING seems to be getting done. Sucks.

RHW said...

"gateway curse" - LOL

Yes - it *is* all about the poopy isn't it?

cIII said...

Ahhhhh....if "poopy" was the only thing I had to worry about.

The other day, the Goat referred to our Old dog as, wait for it.....

Shitheap.

I really need to watch my language around the house.

Fuck.

Sadie said...

Oh man. We had a conversation this morning (my daughter and I) that would make your head spin. It involved swearing, why my theory is that in the non-parrot stage it is good to encourage free expression of feelings in a safe non-judgmental way as long as it is appropriate for the target audience. And that led to a discussion on teenage drinking and driving and the fucked up law in Oregon (and 12 other states) which says if a woman drinks alcohol, willingly, and then gets raped - it isn't legally rape. It is a misdemeanor.

Long story. But be happy with poopy.

DGB said...

Sadie...you just made my head a'splode.