Monday, August 24, 2009

Pudding, Peanut Butter and Whipped Cream

The combination of chocolate pudding, peanut butter and whipped cream is a dessert that was born out of a craving for a sundae, but the lack of proper ingredients to make it. It actually turned out to be a pretty good combination and is a snack I’ve come to enjoy quite often.

A couple of years ago my dad came to visit, and after a couple of cocktails we got hungry and I made him one. Ever since, he has become obsessed with the dessert. Periodically he will call me. I can hear people talking animatedly in the background and I can detect a bubbly nature to my dad’s voice. He is drunk dialing me.

He always begins these calls the same way: "Let me ask you a question,” he says boisterously.

“Sure Dad, what is it?”

“What was in that thing you made me?”

I list the ingredients and he says, “Okay, thanks” and hangs up to return to his party.

A few weeks ago I was at work, in a meeting. My cell phone rings. It’s my dad. I let it go to voicemail, but he immediately calls again. Thinking the worst, I usher myself out of the conference room and answer the call.

“Is everything alright?” I ask.

“Let me ask you a question,” he says.

“Dad, I’m in a meeting. I’ll call you later.”

The next day, he admitted to me that he was seeking the recipe for the dessert.

Two days later, I’m leaving my office and my cell phone rings again. It's him. I hear the chatter in the background and the now familiar tone in my father’s voice.

“Let me ask you a question,” he says.

“Dad, it’s pudding, peanut butter and whipped cream!”

He was amazed. “How did you know that was what I was going to ask?”

“I just had a feeling,” I said.

“Okay, thanks,” he says and hangs up the phone.

A minute later, the phone rings again.

“Now,” my dad begins, “How does this work? Do you put everything in a blender?”

“Dad, you’ve had this before. I made it for you.”

“Ah, I don’t really remember. I just remember that I liked it.”

"If you aren't in a shape to remember it, you're probably not in a shape to eat it," I scold.

Nonetheless, I run him through the recipe.

“Okay,” he says. “I’ve got it now. We're going out for the ingredients right now”

“Good luck,” I tell him and hang up the phone, knowing that this won't be the last time we have this conversation.

13 comments:

SciFi Dad said...

So what DO you do? Do you put a lump of peanut butter in the pudding, then put whipped cream on top? Do you use a blender? I'm on the edge of my seat. Don't make me drunk dial you.

OneZenMom said...

So, let me ask you a question ...

Because, I'm just one drunk dial behind SFD if you don't make with the instructions!

Steph said...

Details, we want details. Do not withhold details when it comes to Peanut Butter!!

DGB said...

It's very simple...small cup of pudding (chocolate is best), one scoop of peanut butter, dollop of whipped cream (spray can is best). Eat like a sundae.

Salty + Sweet = Awesome.

OneZenMom said...

I'm home sick on my couch today. I *really* think someone should bring me some chocolate pudding and Cool Whip. Any volunteers?

Your escalator operator said...

Yum, I think.

Do you have a name for this concoction? More importantly, can you start selling it from a food truck throughout the streets of L.A.? Apparently, that's where all good food comes from now.

DGB said...

I usually just call it the Pudding Sundae. Not that my dad would remember that name either.

Steph said...

ZenMom- Hope you feel better!!

DGB- I will be getting the ingredients on the next trip to the store. Sounds yummy!!

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

K that kind of sounds gross... I'm not going to lie.

So do you need to be drunk or a kid to appreciate it and acquire a taste for it?

DGB said...

Shelle...No. You just need to love peanut butter.

Unknown said...

Maybe you should email it to him or send him a box with all the ingredients.

It sounds interesting. I'm not sure about the taste but it is creative.

Lady Mama said...

That sounds, um, disgusting in kind of a good way. The phone calls would drive me insane.

Multi-tasking Mommy said...

YUmMY!!!!