Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Teacher Becomes the Student

Before the Bean had his tonsillectomy, he had to have blood drawn. My sources told me that it was a traumatic experience for him. He told me about it when I called him on my drive home.

As he was describing the events of that morning to me, I heard WonderWife™ say in the background, “What’s the kind of doctor that took your blood?”

The Bean said something, but I wasn’t sure what.

“Can you repeat that?” I asked.

He said it again. I still could not understand.

“One more time, buddy."

"Repeat after me," he said. "Phle..." He paused, waiting for me.

I obeyed. "Phle..."

He continued, "Bot."

"Bot."

"Ta."

"Ta."

"Mist."

"Mist."

"Phlebotomist," he said.

"Wow buddy," I told him. "I didn't know that."

I really didn't. My son had just taught me something.

7 comments:

SciFi Dad said...

Cute.

Not as cute as if he'd said "Spike" or "Angel", but still cute.

OneZenMom said...

That's one of my favorite words. True story. ;)

Derek Armstrong said...

Not to be confused with the phlegmbotamist, who extracts phlegm from you. Come to think of it, I could use a good phlegmbotamist right now.

Your escalator operator said...

Cool!

Unknown said...

That's a big word for a little guy. I only knew what it was called thanks to my dedication to watching House.

MakingChanges said...

I'm impressed that you admitted to not knowing that word. Way to be! And I agree with ZenMom- it is a fabulous word. Almost as good as beverage. (that is my favorite word)

Missty said...

Great word!! And great story. Hope the tonsillectomy went well.

Don't you just love it when we learn from our kids.