Thursday, October 22, 2009

Interactivity

During the Bean's infant and toddler years, I waited for the day that he would become truly interactive. Cause let's face it at those ages, you don't really play with them as much as watch them play. The Bean would always ask me to play trains. This meant we would sit on opposite sides of the train table. I would push a train around the track to his side until I couldn't reach anymore and he would gladly pick it up and continue it on its journey. But when it came back to me, he would get upset that I was "taking away" his toy.

I've spent more time than I care to admit trying to stay awake while he plays.

But now he's at the age where interactivity is starting. And with that comes Candyland--the most boring game in the history of all board games. It's a game brilliantly designed to be easy enough for a kid who can barely count to play, but hard enough that they cannot play it by themselves. Not only is it dull, but the Bean likes to cheat. He'll pick two cards or skip spaces or dig through the pile for Princess Frostine. He doesn't care about winning, or losing. When he's a space away from the end and the game will finally be over, he'll move his piece back to the beginning because he likes the gumdrop space.

For a while there, we were in the thick of Candyland. Thankfully we seem to be getting out of this phase. For a while the only thing that was really interactive was that game. If you're over 4, Candyland gets old really fast. However, like being thrown up on, I've come to learn that suffering through it is a parental right of passage.

I always want to be enthusiastic about playing with my son, but sometimes turning on the fake excitement is exhausting. This doesn't make me a bad parent, does it?

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Wait until you get to Chutes and Ladders. You thought Candyland was horrid, just wait my friend.

And no, faking enthusiasm is perfectly normal. Just like I'm currently faking that I like Handy Manny as much as Chick does.

SciFi Dad said...

I was going to say the same thing about Chutes and Ladders. Candyland can be manipulated by stacking the deck to end quickly. C&L? Lasts forever.

ericdbolton said...

Yeah, C&L somehow made it to our house for someone's birthday or good behavior. She asks me to play all the time.. I always find some way to change the subject or to give her a little what she wants.

But by the time she sets it up I think she's bored of it.

I think I'm going to get her Moo-no next. It's Uno but with farm weeble wobbles. But then that goes against my.. "Toy with more than one piece rule"

Dan said...

We don't have candyland over here in the UK. I'm guessing that that is actually a good thing.

dadshouse said...

Candy land!!! Yeah, totally boring. You'll survive. You'll get your kid back when he's a parent, and you buy that game for him to play with his kid. Hahahahahahaha

Steph said...

DGB- No it doesn't make you a bad parent at all. There are times when I talk DD into walking the dog so we don't have to play board games.

My dad decided he would be a wonderful grandparent (he wanted to fulfill his name of Fun Grandpa) and buy Carson, almost 4 C&L.
I told him they could keep it at their house and play together. He cannot wait until he can teach her to play checkers.

James (SeattleDad) said...

Can't you teach him battleship or something at least destructive?

John Ahmer said...

just dropping by...
and enjoy playing with your son : )

DGB said...

Andrea and SciFi...So a big no on C&L, huh? Good to know. And stacking the deck, brilliant!

Eric...Moo-no? Let me know how that goes.

Dan...You don't know how lucky you are. But don't worry, there's a movie of it in the works.

Dadshouse...Diabolical! I love it!

Steph...I forgot about checkers. Gives me something else to look forward to.

James...That is part of my master plan.

Wait...Thanks for dropping by. Hope you come back.

Your escalator operator said...

Damn it. I was going to say the same thing about Chutes and Ladders, too - I played it with my nephew a few months ago, and it wasn't *nearly* as fun as I remembered. Also, he kept trying to cheat.

Jessy said...

OMG Chutes and Ladders. I was thinking the same thing as everyone else. Just "shoot" me now. Okay that was not a good joke at all. But that game is just awful.

I am guilty of reading a magazine in my lap while we play with cars.

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

HAHAHAHAHA! You are hilarious. No it does not make you a bad parent. I suffered watching Little Mermaid like it was our first time watching it with popcorn and blankets every 50.5 times she enthusiastically picked it for movie night.

I get you.

I understand.

Sure, we can call it a right of passage... sure.

DGB said...

YEO...What is it about kids trying to cheat at board games?

Jessy...I have fallen asleep while "playing" cars with the Bean. Glad to know I'm not alone.

Shelle...Replace "Little Mermaid" with "Cars" and you've got my house.

cIII said...

I feel you, brother. Also, Chutes and Ladders...should be called Chutes and Lagers. 'Cause that's what you have to do to survive that game. Drink.

Floor Pie said...

I hid our Candyland over a year ago. It's still in the basement on a high shelf.

Little Girl's been enjoying this candy matching game a lot lately. It says 5 and up, but we let her play the easy way and leave the cards face up. Way more fun than Candyland, IMO. Better art, too.