Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Bacon Coffee

One morning, I checked Twitter and found this:

(The link leads you here.)

It amuses and horrifies me that my unabashed love of bacon has inspired people to alert me when they find things like this.

Seriously, bacon coffee? I was simultaneously aghast and intrigued. I’ve learned the hard way that just because something can be made to taste like bacon doesn’t mean that it should. As much as I love coffee and as much as I love bacon, I have never once had a craving to combine them. But far be it for me to turn down trying a bacon-flavored product. So I clicked over to Boca Java’s website and bought a bag of their maple bacon flavored coffee. In 5-7 business days, it arrived.

“Oh, I don’t like the smell of that at all!” was WonderWife’s™ reaction immediately after I opened the bag. She has the olfactory senses of a championship bloodhound. She also has no sense of adventure.

Honestly, the beans did have a smell that reminded me a bit of the bacon vodka but that didn’t stop me from busting out the percolator. (Yes, I use an old school percolator to brew my coffee. It rocks!) When the java was done, I poured it into a mug and took a big whiff.

“It smells like coffee,” I told WW™.

“It smells offensive,” she said dismissively.

I can’t stand hot so it usually takes 20 minutes after my coffee is poured before it’s cool enough for me to drink. This meant that I would be sampling bacon coffee en route to work. Stuck in traffic, I figured it might be a good time to take a sip.

Know what? Bacon coffee isn’t bad. The Boca Java coffee is rich and has a bold flavor. It’s strong, but not over-roasted like they way it is at the coffee behemoth. However, the bacon taste isn’t very present. There is a hint of smokiness and a little bit of sweet at the back, but if you were to give me this coffee blind I’m not sure I would be able to tell you that it was bacon flavored.

At the end of the day the great bacon coffee experiment is kind of a wash. Boca Java’s coffee is really good and the bacon is subtle enough that I would order it again. But if you’re looking for a true bacon coffee experience, you’re better off frying up a few slices and dunking them into a cup o’ joe.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

ohh Not quite sure about the bacon and coffee. I like my coffee in latte form sprinkled with nutmeg and cinnamon from Starbucks. Its all the lovin' I need for a few moments.

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

That sounds all sorts of disgusting!!!

Yet I love that you ordered it and tried it :)

And zenmom is awesome right! Love her :)

OneZenMom said...

You know that you are now my own personal Mikey for bacon flavored products, right? :)

Seriously, I love that you tried it and shared your review here. You rock. :)

James (SeattleDad) said...

I am still hoping to get some in my Christmas stocking.

Then, I will taste for myself that hint of bacony flavor.

Unknown said...

I gotta say I'm with WW on this one. Eewww. Bacon - yes. Coffee - YES. Bacon Coffee - I'm not thinking the combo would suit my tastes at all.

SciFi Dad said...

There are lines I won't cross. Fucking with my coffee, even with bacon, is one of them.

DGB said...

Virgina...This statement will seem ironic, but I'm usually a coffee purist. I drink mine black. So even at 'Bucks, I get drip coffee.

Shelle...It's not nearly as disgusting as it may seem.

Zen...Thanks for pointing it out.

James...But really, thank you for pointing it out! I hope you get it for X-Mas.

Andrea...I think that's why they make the bacon flavor in the coffee subtle. Otherwise it may be too gross.

SciFi...It's good to know you are a man of principle.

Your escalator operator said...

Great post. This cracked me up. Especially like the part about waiting for it to get cold - maybe it's just me, but the appeal of a bacon-flavored coffee drink loses a little something for me when I envision it at room temperature.

DGB said...

YEO...It's not cold or room temp, it's still hot...just not what I consider scalding hot, which is probably just fine for most. I am a temperature wimp.

Keely said...

That's kind of like coffee flavored beer. It sounds like it SHOULD be good but in practice? Kind of meh.