Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Crispy Treat Ice Cream

While perusing the aisles of Whole Foods, gathering ingredients for a feast I was going to make myself during my weekend of solitude, I stumbled upon something new in the freezer section.



QB’s are bites of ice cream wrapped up in a rice crispy treat. Simply brilliant! This is one of those genius ideas that, frankly, I’m amazed nobody has thought of before. They certainly looked appealing, and the little cartoon mascot was cute in a demented sort of way. But how would they taste?

I am happy to report that QB’s rule. The treats were bigger than I expected. Each cube is 2 inches by 1½ inches (so technically it’s not really a cube but aside from a few geometers, is anyone really going to care?). The crispy treat outside was predictably crunchy and chewy, avoiding getting too soggy or too hard because of the freezing. The ice cream was an excellent foil to the crispy treat, though be warned that there is much less ice cream inside than the picture on the package would have you believe. Surprisingly, there was a hint of saltiness in the coating, which we all know brings out the best in sweet flavors and totally welcome here.

I also like food companies that let some weirdness seep through. Flipping over the box, I learned that they have personified the aforementioned cartoon mascot crispy cube and named him Esquivel. According to the box, Esquivel enjoys “extreme activities and high action sports…but chillin’ is a definite must.” I’m not really sure how an ice cream bar can be into action sports, but I am not one who demands logic from my frozen treats or the companies that make them.

I feel like it’s been a while since there was a new product that has come along that has made me as sublimely happy as QB’s. They also come in chocolate (named “Dave”) and strawberry (“Suzy Cube”) and I’m anxious to sample those as well.

8 comments:

Your escalator operator said...

MUST try these. Thanks for the find and rec.
Seriously, they named one of the flavors "Dave"? That might be the weirdest of all.

SciFi Dad said...

Now we need to:
a) find a retailer in Canada
b) find a means of shipping frozen treats to Canada

DGB said...

SciFi...If you figure out the second, I will send 'em.

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

So the rice crispy is soft and chewy? Cause it will only be good if it's soft and chewy! :)

DGB said...

It's a little hard because it's frozen, but the consistency is ultimately what you want from a crispy treat.

OneZenMom said...

*drool*

Loree said...

Looks yummy!

kommishonerjenny said...

ESQUIVEL!!!! lol. That's amazing.