Monday, June 1, 2009

The Coffee Cakeon

Summer officially begins when my buddy opens up his backyard pool with an inaugural BBQ, complete with his delicious and potent Red Lemonade. This year on the comments section of the Evite, WonderWife™ wrote that she was going to be debuting a new, secret dessert.

“Do you want to know what it is?” She asked me a few nights before the event. Her eyes gleamed with the excitement and mischief of somebody who has trouble keeping secrets.

How could I resist? “Please!” I told her.

“Three words: bacon coffee cake.”

Somewhere, WW™ found this recipe and since she’s said that it seems like it’s my mission to put bacon in everything, she could not resist. It was also a foregone conclusion that the gang was going to be receptive to this unorthodox dessert.

Arriving at the party, WW™ placed the cake on the table, where it went undetected next to the brownies and cookies. The bacon coffee cake (or “coffee cakeon,” as it was later dubbed after a few Lemonades) looks deceptively like a regular budnt cake. The cake itself was suitably moist and had a strong vanilla flavor. But inside there’s a layer of brown sugar streusel with bits of bacon. The bacon flavor did not permeate the entire cake, but combined with the ribbon of streusel, the smoky, salty bacon mixed with the brown sugar and oats and accented the cake nicely.

The cake was a hit at the party. At the most tepid end of the spectrum, people appreciated the gimmick of bacon for dessert and thought the cake was tasty. On the other side there were a few folks like me who had more than a few slices. The only person that didn’t like it was a vegetarian (thankfully I warned him about the cake’s secret ingredient before he sampled it).

Bacon coffee cake isn’t something you’d serve every day. But if you’re looking for a great dessert that’s also a conversation piece, you can’t go wrong with bacon.


(Because I know you'll ask...here's the link. You're welcome.)

9 comments:

SciFi Dad said...

Arghflpslghslpfhph.....

now I need to go buy a new keyboard (but not before I email this link to my wife)

RHW said...

Hrm.. not a bacon eater. I wonder if it would work with veggie bacon...?

Now that I think about it, my mom would definitely appreciate this recipe.

Multi-tasking Mommy said...

I guess this is what SciFi Dad is getting for his birthday this year ;)
Thanks!

Your escalator operator said...

Looks tasty. And reminds me... I meant to tell you that a restaurant where I had dinner last week served its bread with bacon butter. It wasn't too bad.

Unknown said...

I just don't know about that one. When I think bacon I think eggs. It's kind of hard wired in my brain that way.

It's creative anyway!

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

k... normally I would say how disgusting that is... but you've convinced me that it actually might be tasty!

... said...

You've got to tell WW to send this to Moxie. She'll love it. xo

Derek Armstrong said...

I guess I didn't make my own thoughts on it known. Now, I hate to cast aspersion on either yourself or WW, and I have enjoyed all of your many culinary experiments over the years (almost literally), but I did want to say that I wasn't the hugest fan. I know, I know, way to be a spoil sport. But I kind of thought it was two different tastes that didn't really make a third. Just sayin'. You know I love you.

Meekly,

Vance

wendy said...

What was in those lemonades??? --that made a cake filled with bacon good?? Just wondering.