Sunday, September 27, 2009

I Continue To Be Digusting

I love the gluttonous marathon of eating that comes along with Fair Day. The amount of food consumed by the attendees at a state our county fair is staggering. And I am right there with them, eating everything in my path.

In what's becoming an annual tradition (click here for 2007, here for 2008), here is a rundown of everything I ate at the fair this year:

Brownie
Beer
Deep Fried Bacon Cheeseburger
Deep Fried Frog Legs
Deep Fried Oreo
Garlic Parmesan Indian Fry Bread
Beer
Roasted corn
ChocolateCovered Bacon
Deep Fried Reeses Whipp
Beer
Pulled Pork Sammich
Curly Fries
Deep Fried Twinkie
Deep Fries Smores
Zucchini Weeni
Apple Fries


As you can see, there are number of favorites that repeat year after year. (I am a creature of habit.) Though I do like to try new things, which is why you'll see deep fried frog legs on the list this year. They had both a bland flavor and a rubbery texture of fish that's been overcooked. Don't expect them to show up again in the future.

Out of the new stuff the stand outs were the deep fried bacon cheeseburger. The patty itself contained the bacon and was then deep fried, giving it a crunchy outer layer. The added texture was a deliciously interesting addition to the burger eating experience.

Chocolate covered bacon was also highly memorable. The Bacon Bar didn't quite live up to my expectations, but this treat was bacon and chocolate the way I had been waiting for. A crispy piece of bacon was dipped in deep, dark chocolate and served chilled. The chocolate had a nice snap and the bacon had crunch. Sweet and salty. My only complaint was that some of the pieces chocolate to bacon ratio was tipped a little bit too much in the chocolate direction. But this is minor. Bacon covered chocolate is good stuff.

As my friends following me on Twitter learned, we decided against sampling the soy sauce ice cream. It's a decision I stand behind.

I'm now off to down a bottle of Pepto, turn on an episode of The Simpsons and curl up into a nice little food coma on the couch.

12 comments:

Derek Armstrong said...

Boy, you're fast. Thanks for compiling the list -- I don't think there was anything you had that I didn't.

OneZenMom said...

I think I'm having a sympathy tummy ache. Also, fried frog legs? You are a braver man than I am, Charlie Brown. Thanks for taking us along on your gastrointestinal adventures yet again.

Your escalator operator said...

I can't think of too many things that sound better than a deep-fried s'more. How great was it? I want one.

DGB said...

Vance...You did well, my friend. It was a great day at the Fair.

Zen...The frog legs was actually Vance's call. I'm glad that he made it, but we both agreed that we chose the wrong kind of leg by favoring frog over turkey.

YEO...The DF Smores was so good. The gram cracker with gooey chocolate next to the batter coating was awesome.

SciFi Dad said...

Zucchini?!?

I didn't know they allowed such atrocities in a fair.

Unknown said...

My God, how many days were you there? I'm feeling sick just reading the list...

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

I'm sick just reading that list! Holy cow man, I had no idea some of those food combinations even existed!!!

I hope you came out of your coma okay :)

My guy would like that fair though...that's for sure!

DGB said...

SciFi...Yeah, the Zucchini Weeni is a hollowed out zucchini with a hot dog shoved in it, deep fried like a corn dog. The zucchini added neither texture nor flavor. Just more calories.

Andrea...Would you believe I was only there for 5 hours?

Shelle...I've felt better than I do today, that's for sure.

OneZenMom said...

Just came back to see how your fair-food hangover was doing.

I was also going to ask about the anatomy of a zucchini weenie. But I see someone beat me to it. And, honestly, now I kind of wish I didn't know. ;)

We'll be fair-bound next week. I think I may need to seek out a deep-fried s'more.

But, hey, you don't have one of my favorites on the list: No funnel cake?!

Danielle said...

Take some Lipitor too please. We want you to be around for a while.

James (SeattleDad) said...

Adding chocolate covered bacon to my bucket list.

DGB said...

Zen...I do love funnel cake--especially the Mexican funnel cake they had. But funnel cake you can get anywhere, deep fried smores...not so much.

Danielle...Already taken.

James...Ironically, eating chocolate covered bacon gets you closer to actually needing a bucket list.