Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Baby Ruth Crisp

I know it's post-Halloween and you're all candied out, but lookit what I found on the shelves of the 'Sev!:

I'm a big fan of the "Crisp" bars. Kit Kats are great. Reeses Sticks are divine and Butterfinger Crisp just might be better than the original. I dig the way Crisp bars manage to keep the flavor of the bar they emulate while providing a completely different texture.

Baby Ruth Crisp offers the chocolate, peanuts and caramel of the original but adds layers of wafer and creme. As WonderWife™ and I dug into our Crisps, she told me that Baby Ruth just might be one of her favorite candy bars. While I like Baby Ruth, it's never placed in my top 5. But the Crisp is really good. Like the ones that have come before it, the signature Baby Ruth flavor is totally intact, but with a light crunchy texture from the wafers. The hit of salt from the peanuts seemed more prominent and the creme between the wafers is sweet, but compliments the chocolate well.

WonderWife™ and I both wished the peanuts had been more finely chopped and I thought that the layer of caramel was too heavy and chewy compared to the more delicate wafers. But these are minor complaints. The verdict on BRC was unanimous that it was not only tasty, but a total buy-again.

3 comments:

Derek Armstrong said...

But would it pass the ultimate test? The Sloth test? "Ruth! Ruth! Bay-BEE? Ruth!"

James (SeattleDad) said...

I'm waiting for the Ken Griffey Jr. Crisp.

Somebody must be developing it...

Dan said...

Babe Ruths are the best American chocolate bar by far in my view. I really wish they made them over here.